Gwysaney Hall Has Been in The Present Owners Family For Over 450 Years
Owned by the same family 1550, with direct ties to Rhodri Mawr (the King of Wales in the 9th Century), are just some of the highlights of this historic property.
Gwysaney is recorded in the Doomsday Book in the 9th Century and it is believed that the first house was originally located at Shifna Hir, and the present Hall was built on the current site in 1603 by Robert Davies.
The Hall was originally designed and built in a formal H shape, but the east wing cracked in 1825 and required rebuilding the stone was used to extend the Hall to the west. Perhaps Gwysaney’s most notable moment was in 1645 when the Hall was besieged and taken by Oliver Cromwell’s Roundheads. All that remains from the scars of the battle is damage to the front door caused by a cannonball!
At its heart is much of the original Hall, built in 1603, which has seen many changes over the years, including a partial rebuild in the mid 19th Century. The Hall has been in the present owners family for over 450 years.